editing .upt file

Ask questions about GPS Magellan equipment here.

editing .upt file

Postby lostbear » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:09 am

i still have not decided which gps unit to purchase, but your replies will help my decision....

a friend has an explorist 500 and i was able to see the .upt file that stores all points. i was wondering what some of the things in it meant. i'm thinking if i could edit the file and place all info i need in there, then i would have all regular points of interest already loaded right out of the gate.

here is a sample entry:

$PMGNWPL,####.###,N,#####.###,W,###@###,M,???,LABEL,a*4C

The ####.### & #####.### represent coordinates but not sure what the ###@### represents. i think ??? and LABEL are name identifiers that are user specified, but what is the a*4C?
lostbear

bump....

Postby lostbear » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:11 am

i'm sure that someone out there has done this.......

anyone??? anyone???
lostbear

Re: editing .upt file

Postby Allory » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:10 pm

in the 'Default POI File.upt' from my eX210 the number between the ,W, and the ,M, is the elevation in meters. There is no @ in that area.

$PMGNWPL,4107.528,N,10444.920,W,0001824,M,SIERRATRADERS,,a*44

is the waypoint for the Sierra Traders store in Cheyenne, WY.
Allory

Re: editing .upt file

Postby gdh73 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:26 pm

I have an explorist 600 and in the past 15 minutes was able to download and install EasyGPS (http://www.easygps.com/default.asp) which allows me to edit this file. I simply transfer the Default POI File.upt from the GPS to my PC, add the waypoints (which can be downloaded from geocaching.com) or add them manually. Then send that back to the GPS, overwriting the upt file with my changes. Very easy to do this.
gdh73

about the a*44

Postby JSC » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:58 am

For those who wonder what is the a*44 about, I think it might be the total number of characters in the line. Am I right ?
JSC

Return to Magellan