My explorist 500 wont turn on any more

Ask questions about GPS Magellan equipment here.

My explorist 500 wont turn on any more

Postby sharky » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:17 am

Hi Guys
Im a newbie to the Explorist I bought one in Canadian Tire last month while on vacation 4 weeks ago. Im now back home in Australia for the past week and have been using it fine with Magellan maps for australia.

All was fin until this morning..my unit wont power on. I have tried to recharge the lithium battey via USD..and my magellan car charger ..no luck. I then removed the lithium battery and placed in the battery clip with 3 brand new batteries and the unit wont power in.

Im a little upset having spend lost of $$ on maps of canada,australia accessories,sd card etc...now my unit is dead.

Hopefully Im doing something wrong...Please help
sharky

Re: My explorist 500 wont turn on any more

Postby Tom » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:27 pm

Hmmm... I would call Magellan right now and get it exchanged. I don't think that you are doing anything wrong. Turning on a GPSr isn't rocket science. I think it died on you.

Perhaps Magellan support will have some fancy reset procedure that will wake it up.

Sorry to confirm your worst expectations.

--Tom
Tom

Postby Tom » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:40 am

By the way.... Have you tried holding the power button in for a bit longer?

--Tom
Tom

Postby mrquietguy » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:37 am

I've had this problem with my Magellan Roadmate. Try removing the batteries for 48 hours to let the unit completely discharge. It worked for me.

Tom M.
mrquietguy

Postby carpeneto07 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:28 pm

Hi
Take the time to carefully check the GPS's battery contacts. I managed to bend one of mine and had similar dramas.
Have you tried powering it externally via the "Y" connector?

Cheers
Dave
carpeneto07

Postby sharky » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:56 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice . So far no luck
I have sent an email to www.nextdestination.com.au who seem to the the Magellan Dsitributors in Australia. AND luckly I have my receipt.

I'll keep you updated.
sharky

Postby Dale » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:46 pm

Try the service functions on the site http://rhamphorinkx.newmail.ru/sf.htm . They can help if the unit is in some kind of an error state. I it is really dead your only option is to get it repaired by Magellan.
Dale
Dale

Postby sharky » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:59 pm

Looks like my 500 is a dead duck after 4 weeks.

I emailed Magellan support and they have already replied. Not sure yet if I will need to send it to the US or a local repair centre here in Australia...suppose i will find out soon.
sharky

Postby carpeneto07 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:48 am

If you have bought an Oz basemap for your US unit, make sure you send a copy of the receipt with the unit.

If they suspect the Oz basemap in an "underground" one, the folks at the Oz Magellan repair centre will remove it and substitute the US one in
it's place, as they have a no tolerance policy with "underground" basemaps.

Cheers
Dave
carpeneto07

Postby sharky » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:39 pm

Ive sent it back , the basemap is North America, they asked me if i wished to buy the basemap for Oz , but want $299..seems steep.

I bought the DiscoverAus maps in sydney last week at Dick smith for $159. But I see there is a TOPO AUS map on SD.

1. do you you know where i can get an aussie basemap cheaper

2. can i not load it on my sd card and swich back and forth ? and keep the NAmerica on on the unit

cheers
Keith
sharky

Postby sharky » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:27 am

jsut to let everyone know, the unit ended up being replaced by a new one by the Australian Magellan repair centre and only took a few days to get returned. excellent service ...make sure to keep youre reeipts ;-)
sharky

Return to Magellan