eXplorist 600 - screen turns from white background to blue

Ask questions about GPS Magellan equipment here.

eXplorist 600 - screen turns from white background to blue

Postby Donald » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:06 am

Has the above ever happened to anyone? I created a route (still playing with MapSend Direct Route) from home to downtown Charleston just to see how we would be routed. As we travelled along the map background turned from white which made reading the roads and route easy to dark blue which made it difficult to read. There was no rhyme or reason for the change as we had not touched any buttons on the unit. It returned to a white background by itself. Any idea why this happened and how to keep it from happening in the future or at least change it back if it happens again?
Or do I have a faulty eXplorist 600?
____
Don
Donald

Were you crossing a large body of water at the time?

Postby drmike » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:07 pm

Were you crossing a wide river or some other large body of water at the time? Bodies of water are blue on the screen (I would not say dark blue, but definitely not light blue--although it might look like dark blue if the backlight is off). If the screen was zoomed in all or most of the way to the highest resolution, the body of water could cover the entire screen, making it appear that the screen had turned blue.

This could also happen if you were traveling on a road that bordere a wide body of water--if the GPS were off by just a bit, it would look like you were in the water. (I have noticed that sometimes my 600 will be off by several feet when traveling on a fairly straight interstate (think I-80 across Ohio). Instead of being on the road, at high resolution the 600 shows me as being just north or south of the road. This seems to happen mostly when I change detail maps without restarting the GPS--turning the GPS off and then on again usually clears it.)
drmike

Re: Were you crossing a large body of water at the time?

Postby Donald » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:09 am

Thanks for the suggestion since there is definitely a lot of water around here. But we were not travelling over water nor near water when we experienced the blue background. And we could still make out the route. We are using a 2 GB SD card. Might this affect the background somehow?
____
Don
Donald

Does the same route duplicate the problem?

Postby drmike » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:10 pm

I have used both a 2Gb card and a 4Gb card in my 600, and have not experienced what you are describing, except when traveling on (in a boat) or over water. I doubt that the SD card has anything to do with it. Have you tried the same route again to see if you can duplicate the problem? I assume you are using DirectRoute North America. I have version 3 and have never seen the problem you describe.
drmike

hard boot in the system

Postby Donald » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:11 pm

I thought that the first time the screen changed color was a fluke since some short trips the 600 behaved correctly. But tried it out again on a trip into town and the same thing happened. Magellan has responded with the following:

"...do a hard boot in the system, kindly hold the NAV, MENU and POWER buttons simultaneously. Once the unit has rebooted enter a rouite and check..."

I have not performed this yet and would like comments from seasoned users (or not) if this looks like drastic steps to take and if I will lose all I have put in todate. I do not believe this will affect the SD card but would certainly now ant to lose what is on the card already.

Comments? Suggestions?
____
Don
Donald

remove the SD card before trying a hard reset

Postby carpeneto07 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:12 am

Hi Don
I would back up all files in the internal memory folder "tree" to your PC and remove the SD card before trying a hard reset.

This is similar to the recommended procedure when performing a firmware update.
Here you can find the procedure for eXplorist XL update: http://www.magellangps.com/support/softwareupdates/

Cheers and good luck
Dave
carpeneto07

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:53 am

I am having the same issue with MapSend DirectRoute 3.0 and my eX600 background turning from white to blue at random times. This only seems to happen with the zoom level below 0.2 mi. There are some streams around but the background turns blue even when there are no streams showing on the screen. As I follow a road route the screen sometimes changes back to a white background and then back to blue.

Let me clarify that the blue screen background covers the whole screen when only street roads are showing, so this is not a simple thing of overlapping water.

I also have MapSend Topo 3D USA 1.5 maps which this problem does not occur. I can change my details map between the two and the blue background only happens with DirectRoute, so it appears to be a bug only with DirectRoute 3.0.

I have a recent eX600 with firmware Ver 5.2.17.

Postby heleloaa » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:59 am

I am having the same issue with MapSend DirectRoute 3.0 and my eX600 background turning from white to blue at random times. This only seems to happen with the zoom level below 0.2 mi. There are some streams around but the background turns blue even when there are no streams showing on the screen. As I follow a road route the screen sometimes changes back to a white background and then back to blue.

Let me clarify that the blue screen background covers the whole screen when only street roads are showing, so this is not a simple thing of overlapping water.

I also have MapSend Topo 3D USA 1.5 maps which this problem does not occur. I can change my details map between the two and the blue background only happens with DirectRoute, so it appears to be a bug only with DirectRoute 3.0.

I have a recent eX600 with firmware Ver 5.2.17.

Sorry for the double post, I was not signed in on my previous post.
heleloaa

Return to Magellan