Firmware updates for 500 and 600 Europe

Ask questions about GPS Magellan equipment here.

Firmware updates for 500 and 600 Europe

Postby sandkvist » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:11 pm

It seems as the 500 and 600 models has not yet gotten the firmware upgrade with the new navigation pages. Sigh! All other models do, but why not the 500 and 600.

Anyone with insight, got any clues or information? I sure like to get better functionality in my Explorist 500.
sandkvist

development of the 500/600 has reached a crossroads

Postby carpeneto07 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:58 am

Hi
I have a sneaking suspicion that the development of the 500/600 has reached a crossroads. Magellan seem to be concentrating their developmental efforts on the 210, 400 and XL. The 500NA became a legacy product in November 2006, replaced by the non-L-ion 500LE.

I have recently upgraded from my 500 to the XL. To be fair, I would probably have bought the XL first up, but the XL was released 2 months *after* I got the 500.
:-(

Cheers
Dave
carpeneto07

Magellan repair centre

Postby diver » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:25 am

Hi Dave
How did you get your 500 upgradd to an XL ?
Also, i just got my 500 back from the Oz Magellan repair centre, they have replaced it with a new one (still has the plastic on the screen !)

excellent service too, only a one week turn around and didnt cost me a cent other then the price to mail it to them in WA.

Keith
diver

Re: Magellan repair centre

Postby carpeneto07 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:38 pm

I bought one, this time from someone offering a warranty ... ;-)

Not sure what I want to do with the 500. Use it as a handheld and keep the XL in the truck ..... ? A real pain generating two detail maps tho'.

While I am on truck installations .... Not sure what other experiences have been, but I have found the extra mass of the XL too great for the Magellan swivel mount .. it really vibrates around on corrugations, even tho' I have added extra padding between the swivelling parts.

My old Globalnav 200 was about the same mass as the XL. I had a RAM mount for that, so I have just ordered a mount from GPSOZ.
http://www.gpsoz.com.au/ram.htm

> Also, i just got my 500 back from the Oz Magellan repair centre, they have replaced it with a new one (still has the plastic on the screen !)
> excellent service too, only a one week turn around and didnt cost me a cent other then the price to mail it to them in WA.

Great!
I have not had problems with them either. Even though my 500 is a "grey market" unit, I still received useful advice in a recent "no battery power" incident.

Cheers
Dave
carpeneto07

buying another eXplorist

Postby TomInJax » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:26 pm

Dave,

I have been thinking about buying another eXplorist, either the 600 or the XL. I currently have the 500 and would keep it as a spare. First off, are the extra features in the 600 worth the difference? Is the larger screen and use of AA batteries in the XL the better purchase? I really like my 500, but the thought of a more detailed screen on the XL sounds great. And since I also like to use my GPSr while driving, the larger screen would help a lot too. But on the other hand, since I use my GPSr for geocaching, the magnetic compass might help in the thick forest when I am searching for a cache. Comments? Opinions? Critique? Advice?

--TomInJax
Jacksonville, FL
TomInJax

Re: buying another eXplorist

Postby carpeneto07 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:46 am

Hi Tom
I don't consider the 600's extra features worth the extra $$$'s. For bush trips, I *always* carry paper maps and a real compass. For me, the XL is far too bulky for extended hand held use. The PDA sized screen is great for in vehicle use, no more squinting at the screen. If permanently hooked to the vehicle's supply, the AA batteries in the XL last a long time, as the unit automagically switches to external power if detected.

A new Magellan product DiscoverAus Street by Street) has surfaced here in Oz converting the 400/500/600/XL into a street navigator.
https://www.nextdestination.com.au/Page ... ductId=225
Anyone here tried it yet?

Cheers
Dave
carpeneto07

Re: buying another eXplorist

Postby bluegloworm » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:55 pm

Looks very interesting indeed! But it will be expensive for sure...
Anyone got a price?
bluegloworm

DiscoverAus Street by Street

Postby carpeneto07 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:57 am

I have heard around AU$350.00

Cheers
Dave
carpeneto07

Re: DiscoverAus Street by Street

Postby Peter » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:11 am

Do you know if the "turn-by-turn" version of DAST is Topo as well? I'm guessing not as the Topo version is $399.

Peter
Peter

Re: DiscoverAus Street by Street

Postby carpeneto07 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:34 am

Peter,
I don't know of any street navigator that is topographical Check out this site at AU$349
http://www.gpsoz.com.au/magellan/magellan_sbs.htm

As I have said before, GPS's and street navigators using the GPS satellite system are two *completely different* concepts.
GPS's pretending to be street navigators will always give inferior results and vice versa. ;-)

Cheers
Dave
carpeneto07

Re: Firmware updates for 500 and 600 Europe

Postby deissi » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:15 pm

Probably because the 500 and 600 got updates a year ago and we 210 and XL user had to wait til now. Next Christmas it will be your turn again.
deissi

Postby ROBERT » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:46 am

While that makes a frightening amount of sense in this world, does
anyone really have any doubt that the firmware of the 210, 400, 500,
600, and XL come from the same source code?

I didn't understand in mid '05 when 210 and XL came out and had the
firmware fix for the USB lockup while x00's had to wait until Dec '05
for that same fix. I don't understand why there are different
firmware builds for EU and other. I don't understand why 210 and XL
came along a year after THAT to add functionality back that was
removed from Map330/Meridian/ST family when we're all pretty sure that
this is still the same code from THOSE products. I don't understand
why they don't build and QA them all in one pass.

I really don't _get_ their firmware build and release process.
ROBERT

Postby 1norm1 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:00 pm

For most if not all of that time frame Magellan was a French 'holding' . . . . . need more be said?
They actually worshiped Jerry Lewis, . . . . sheesh!
Norm
1norm1

Return to Magellan