Garmin screen defect

Ask questions about GPS Garmin equipment here.

Garmin screen defect

Postby Clive Tooby » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:26 am

I have a Garmin StreePilot 2610 bought in July 04. I use it on car and motorcycle. Over the past few months the top layer of the screen has been progressively delaminating / bubbling up. Soon the unit will be unuseable.

I've emailed Garmin but have not yet received a response. Does anyone else have experience of this defect on Garmin products?

Thanks.

Clive
Clive Tooby

Re: Garmin screen defect

Postby scoobied » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:39 pm

Just a thought - but you did remove the plastic screen protector when you first got the unit? If not could it just be this thats bubbling so just peel it off. If thats not it then return to supplier as goods not of sufficient quality for purpose
scoobied

Postby Clive Tooby » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:04 pm

Well, it does look like protective film that has bubbled up but I'm pretty sure I removed the film when the unit was new and what's on there now looks like an integrated part of the screen.

Since I posted this comment, the screen has completely delaminated so I have sent it to Garmin's Authorised Repairer in the UK. Could cost ?165 to repair!!

When I get the unit back I'll post their findings on this message board.
In the meantime I still haven't had a response from Garmin to my email.

Clive
Clive Tooby

Same Problem with 2610 Screen Bubble

Postby tpresten » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:37 am

Hey Clive, I have the same problem with my Garmin 2610 and I use mine on my motorcycle and also in my car. Mine started to delaminate this week after about 18 months of use. I sent Garmin an email and so far they said they would repair if it is under warranty (which it is not) so I sent a reply that it was not and I am waiting on their response. I have an Etrex, GPS V, Quest, IQUE 3600, in addition to my 2610 (BMW NAV II branded) and have always been satisfied with customer service from Garmin so I would be surprised if they do not repair this out of warranty.
tpresten

Postby Clive Tooby » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:35 pm

I'm pleased to say that Garmin have promptly replaced my StreetPilot 2610 free of charge even though it's outside warranty. This has given me back my confidence in Garmin if not in the 2610 unit itself.

Very interesting to hear that tpreston has the same fault. Thanks for letting me know.

However, I have noticed that on this new unit there is an approximate 0.5mm gap between the screen and the casing as if water/dust seal has not been fitted (there was definitely no gap on my old unit and the seal was visible and flush with the case). Maybe it's a design change and the seal is recessed out of sight. Even if this is true it's obvious that water will collect in the gap take ages to dry out.

I'll contact Garmin to find out if this change is intentional or, if indeed, the seal has been omitted.

Nothing's simple!

Clive
Clive Tooby

Postby Clive Tooby » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 am

I'm assured by Garmin that the 'gap' is design intent. So far the new unit works fine and it is waterproof. So I'm happy now!

Clive
Clive Tooby

Garmin StreetPilot 2610 Screen Failure

Postby Clive Tooby » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:26 pm

My second StreetPilot 2610 Screen is now failing in exactly the same way as the first (top layer delaminating / bubbling up)....after less than 10 months. In the meantime I've heard of another similar failure in the bike group I'm a member of. Looks like Garmin have a problem here when the units are used a lot, as mine is. It remains to be seen if Garmin will replace this second unit free of charge.

Clive Tooby
Clive Tooby

Return to Garmin