GPS Watch question... use in the jungle

Ask questions about GPS Garmin equipment here.

GPS Watch question... use in the jungle

Postby Forerunner » Sun May 27, 2007 2:49 am

Hello,

I already own a Garmin GPS 76 and a GPSMAP 76CSx

I am considering the Foretrex 201 and the Forerunner 205

I realize that the forerunner is for atheletes and is NOT a hikers GPS, but it really does have 2 advantages over the Foretrex.

1. SiRF StarIII chip

2. Much more compact on the wrist

I downloaded the manual for the Forerunner 205 and noted that it CAN record Waypoints and Routes..... and apparently at least ONE track !

MY QUESTION:

Can the Waypoints, Routes and Track(s) be uploaded and downloaded with Track and Waypoint Manager ???????

OR... Can they be uploaded/downloaded using the Training Center software ????

I would certainly wish to be able to get any Waypoints or Routes out of the watch and into my other Garmin handhelds.

I lead expeditions into tropical jungle and some of the regular hikers are really keen on purchasing these products.

Unfortunately it is possible that Foretrex may not function in the jungle.... although my GPSMAP 76CSx (which has the SiRF chip) works just fine....

Otherwise CAN YOU recommend a good alternative to the Foretrex ?????.....

i.e. A watch (or wrist mounted device) that has SiRF chip and is
suitable for recording/saving tracks....... and also has the TrackBac feature.

Thanks for any help.
Forerunner

Re: GPS Watch question... use in the jungle

Postby i-like-gps » Sun May 27, 2007 2:52 am

not going to find one. you wont have enough power density or memory space in a wristwatch to power a 76csx functionality unit with track log, memory, track back and sirf iii.
the sirf iii is a big power hog as is. plus the antenna needs to be a big quad helix for max performance.
stick to your existing 76csx in the jungle. thats as good as its gonna get.
i-like-gps

Postby Forerunner » Sun May 27, 2007 2:54 am

Thanks "i-like-gps"

I appreciate your honesty... I know the 76CSx is an incredible beast.... never had a GPS like it before.

Even inside the backpack it continues to track..... and with incredible accuracy too .... I would certainly recommend it to anyone.

The only downside.... I have to stop and check it occasionally.... since I need both hands free.... which is why I was looking for a wrist mounted solution.
Forerunner

Postby i-like-gps » Sun May 27, 2007 2:54 am

nothing stopping you from strapping it to your wrist. one of those huge velcro forearm guard things they use for tennis elbows can be used to clamp the 76 to your forearm.
alternatively use the belt clip. its what its there for.
i-like-gps

Postby hiker » Sun May 27, 2007 2:55 am

I agree that a quadhelix antenna is probably what you want to get reception under tree cover (especially jungle). That aside, as far as power you could used the Vehicle power cable and a 12VDC battery pack on your belt. I know this approach has been used for subzero conditions as it keeps the battery warm.
hiker

Postby Forerunner » Sun May 27, 2007 2:56 am

Power is not really a problem for me.... because the tours are never longer than about 5 hours.

the tree cover is varying... thick in some places.... thin in others..... even some wide open fields.... as well as steep rock faces.

I think the popularity of these hikes is the varying terrain.... there is always a good crowd eager to participate...

I am trying to map the trails... so we can standardise the operation... makes it a bit easier when training new guides.

Also the GPS coordinates are a great help when putting together the aerial photographs... we have a helicopter which we use for aerial photography, scenic tour rides as well as emergency rescue (if/when required).
Forerunner

Return to Garmin