How close does it get?

Ask questions about GPS Magellan equipment here.

How close does it get?

Postby Steve » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:31 am

When I enter my home address in my Mag 760, it tells me that I have arrived in my neighborhood about 7 houses before I get to mine. Is this as close as the Magellan 760 will get you?
Steve

Re: How close does it get?

Postby Allory » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:41 am

I have a RoadMate 700, which is at least pretty much the same. With it you cannot specify an actual location, but must rely on an internal database of addresses which assumes a linear spacing of street numbers in a block.

In the area where I live (southeast quadrant of town) the street numbers are 00-24. It makes it easier for emergency vehicles to find an address (no guessing about whether it was east or west on grand ave.), but it completely fouls up a system which assumes linearity.

My 700 assumes that the street numbers are 1700 the west end of the block and 1800 at the other. In fact, 1713 is not anywhere near where the 700 predicts.
Allory

As close as it gets

Postby Steve » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:47 am

So isn't this a bit of false advertising as far as the GPS goes? I guess the mfg thinks if it gets you to the right street, then you can find your own way.
Steve

Postby gpsfun » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:24 am

Some of the Garmin's Software by Navtech On Board is doing the same thing in some areas. I live on a cresent , there is 51 addresses on the crescent, the software shows 99, puting my house 7 to 8 houses out. If you use a Lat/Long address it will put you in the right place.
gpsfun

Postby Allory » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:49 am

The address finding is a bit flaky with either Garmin or Magellan. The advantage with the Garmin implementation is that once you have found your house you can save it as a waypoint using the actual location. Magellan just lets you save it as a previously searched for point in a flawed database.
Allory

Return to Magellan