How to remove antenna on Magellan Roadmate 760?

Ask questions about GPS Magellan equipment here.

How to remove antenna on Magellan Roadmate 760?

Postby autocar777 » Fri May 11, 2007 10:10 pm

Can anyone explain to me (or send pictures) of how to attach an external antenna to the Magellan RoadMate 760? I am shopping for an external antenna, but cannot see where it attaches. Somewhere I read you detach the existing antenna, but I cannot see how tha is done and do not want to damage the unit trying to do it incorrectly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
autocar777

Re: How to remove antenna on Magellan Roadmate 760?

Postby magellan » Sat May 26, 2007 4:32 am

the 760 is pretty close to the original 700. on the rm500/700 you flip the antenna up then pull it straight out along it's axis, towards the back of the unit. installation is the opposite - you just press it back in place. make sure you understand as many have broken off their antennas trying to remove it without knowing how. i bought an external antenna on ebay and it's great in cities where you would otherwise get yellow / red signal status.[/url]
magellan

Postby autocar777 » Sat May 26, 2007 4:35 am

Thanks. The OEM antenna does not easily pop off, and I am indeed afraid of breaking it. I have tried to pull it off (moving it directly BACK along its pivoting axis), but have been unable to get it to budge. I don't want to break the unit.
autocar777

Postby ninosat » Sat May 26, 2007 4:36 am

right, it doesn't easily pop off because the smb(?) connector is still tight. it gets looser after you have it off a couple of times. i actually called magellan on this and that's how i found out the procedure. fyi, the antennas themselves are easy to find - even amazon sells them. you have to be careful with the socket in the unit which is attached to one of the PCB's. i've taken off the antenna many times and have not had a problem...
ninosat

Postby autocar777 » Sat May 26, 2007 4:43 am

Thanks so much. I was able to convince it to come off. Thanks again for your informaiton and encouragement! I found a good deal on the antenna at buy.com - the price was higher, but then they offered $20 off for using google check-out!
autocar777

Postby explorist » Sat May 26, 2007 4:45 am

The antenna connector is a bad design the SMB F connector was never designed to be used as a pivot. I occasionally have to reseat the antenna on my RM700 to obtain a signal.
explorist

Postby gps » Sat May 26, 2007 4:48 am

This is a little late. The Roadmate 300, 360, 500, 700 and 760 all use the same antenna design. There is a notch on the post to which the antenna attaches. If you rotate all the way to the stop, a key on the antenna lines up with the notch on the post. You can then easily pull the antenna off the post. To prevent the antenna from coming loose on its own, rotate the antenna only to the vertical position and not to the stop position. Part of the key will be behind the flange so that the antenna will not come off. Under no circumstances should you use a tool to pry off the antenna. This will snap off the plastic so the antenna will not be held in place. You will then have to use an external antenna for a reliable connection.
gps

Return to Magellan