Newbie question

Ask questions here about a specific GPS to meet your needs.

Newbie question

Postby desler » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:25 pm

My only experience with a GPS is the Magellan units in the Hertz cars I rent. I want to buy a unit for my car but don't know where to start. There are so many choices...and opinions...I'm lost.

I know I want something that will guide me from point A to point B (duh). Voice directions are a must. I don't care about the abiltiy to play MP3's. Bluetooth for my phone is a "nice to have" and built-in XM is also nice but may be a stretch. I want something I can move from my car to my wife's car and take on business trips and use in my rental car.

Are there any other considerations? (I don't know enough to know what I don't know.)

Budget around $500+-. I don't have any brand preferences but want a good quality unit.

HELP!!!

Thanks in advance.
desler

Re: Newbie question

Postby Joel » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:54 pm

Look at the Nuvi line from Garmin. Based on your requirements, I'd suggest the Nuvi 360. It has Bluetooth, text to speech (announces the names of streets for turns), and the Sirf III chipset which gains satellite reception quickly, and holds it better. Generally, the Nuvi series are smaller (360 will fit in your shirt pocket), and are about the best selling series of navigation devices on the market. I've had 5 different devices, and my Nuvi is the best and most accurate I've had. Take a trip over to Garmin.com, select ON THE ROAD, select a few units and select COMPARE to view the features of each unit. Once you find one you want to price, go to Amazon.com, SAMSCLUB.com, or offroute.com to find the best pricing.

Cheers........ Joel
Joel

Is the 360 too "old"?

Postby desler » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:22 am

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like a good choice. It looks like the 360 has been out for a while, about a year I think. Should I be concerned and opt to get something more current?
desler

Postby Joel » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:28 am

I've had the Nuvi 350 (little brother to the 360, minus the Bluetooth) for over a year (paid an outrageous sum for it), and I still consider it to be current. I'll update to the 2008 mapset, and it will be as current as anything on the market. If you have the money, look at the Nuvi 660. Larger screen, Bluetooth, FM transmitter and all the other bells and whistles.....

Joel
Joel

Any other brands.

Postby desler » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:48 pm

Thanks for the tip, Joel. The 360 looks like a wiinner. Are there any other brands/models I should consider?
desler

Postby Joel » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:57 am

I'll be honest with you and tell you I don't know. I have a preference for Garmin (and especially the Nuvi series), having had units from TOMTOM, Lowrance, and Magellan, none of which I found to be acceptable navigators. You might consider going to any of their web sites (their name.com) and checking out their models, then come back here and go to that manufacturers portion of this site (down below, you'll find portions of this forum to ask questions about units from other manufacturers) to query owners of a unit you might be considering.

Again, hope this helps in your search. There is no perfect unit out there, but the Nuvi series (for me) is as close as you can get. Good luck!

Joel
Joel

Return to Which GPS Should I Buy?